Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I want a "nothing box!"

So, I got to thinking about an interview I read a while back. It was about meditation and the interviewer asked the interviewee whether it was harder for women to meditate than it was for men. Her thinking here was from a historical background: how in meditation the goal is to let go of everything, to surrender one's mind and give ourselves over to nothing. Now, the interviewer was a big time feminist who argued that women have been made to surrender everything for thousands of years and now that they've begun climbing out of that mindset, it's harder for them to let themselves fall back into it.

I'm not sure I agree with the foundation of her argument but I have wondered the same thing myself from time to time. Especially sitting there on my cushion, wishing my monkey mind would stop all its chattering and settle down. However, MY curiosity stems from another line of thinking. Like this image of how a woman's brain supposedly works:


I don't claim to have a single CLUE as to how men's brains work in comparison (although I have asked myself that question a time or two). And then there's that comedian, Mark Gungor, who does a pretty good job describing the difference: 



A "nothing box" huh? I sure could use one of those sometimes. Especially sitting in meditation when all the balls are rolling off edges, pinging off walls and bouncing into each other. When all the wires are making countless connections and firing all at the same time. Or at 3:00 AM when my mind wakes me up to rehash some small little incident that seems larger than reality in the middle of the night. Boy would a nothing box come in handy then. 

I need a nothing box! 

My Queendom for a nothing box!


No comments:

Post a Comment