Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How the heck did this happen?

On Thursdays I teach yoga. But not the kind of class you'd imagine with spandex clad women stretching, posing and sweating on their hot pink mats.

Nope, my Thursday class is different.

It started when my daughter said "Moooommmm, I really need you to teach me yoga. My body hurts and needs some gentle stretching." Then my son said, "Yeeaah . . I'm more flexible after taking just two of your classes." Then his girlfriend said, "and wouldn't it be good for my back?"

I thought . . . okay, I can do a class for three. But I don't have enough room in my house. So I checked the schedule at The Texas Yoga Center where I teach on occasion and, sure enough, there was a spot open on Thursday afternoons. And when I talked to the owner about using the room, she said, "That would be great! You could ask your son to talk it up at school and see if there are more teens who want to do 'Teen Yoga.'"

So I did. And he did. And since he's a football player and knows mostly football players . . . well, that's what Thursday's class has turned in to. A handful of muscular, athletic boys (and a few girls) who want to learn a little yoga. Yoga of all things! I know what you're thinking. You're trying to picture Terry Bradshaw in Lord of the Dancer's Pose. Or Ben Roethlisberger holding Warrior Two for a few minutes. John Elway in Pigeon Pose. Or Peyton Manning in Bound Tree Pose. Kind of brings some interesting images to mind doesn't it?

True, there's something both weird and amazing about this odd combo and I keep wondering why these young men want to join me in sun salutations till they're all running sweat. Or warm up with Moon Salute, holding Goddess Pose for a breath or two. But they DO! And the harder I make it, the happier they seem.

Our goal pose has been Crow Pose. Also known as Crane. Or in Sanskrit, Bakasana.


photo compliments of luluemon athletica

It's a fairly challenging pose that takes upper body strength coupled with a good sense of balance. And while Thursday's class sure doesn't lack for muscle (emphasis here) we're all still working on our balance.

Some of us have already nailed Bakasana! Next thing you know, I'll be teaching these boys poses I can't even do!


No comments:

Post a Comment