Thursday, November 12, 2009

On the Occasion of a Three Day Retreat

It’s one thing to spend three days sitting in guided meditation, chanting sutras, holding poses and trading mantras, returning home long enough to grab what’s needed for the next day, completely oblivious to how my behavior neglects and abuses my environment. Why should I concern myself with any of that while I’m so inwardly engaged?

It’s quite another thing to be here at home, trying desperately to catch up once the retreat is over. Here I’ve taken some time off, turned my back on daily obligations, put everything off until “later.” And now that later has arrived, I’m fearful that I’ve let things go too far. The question becomes: how can I neglect the necessities of my own survival (healthy food choices, caring for those who share my home, tending to my own clutter.) How long can I ignore these things before there’s no way back?

I see my weekend as a microcosm, like the world itself, like our country, our home. We’ve all been turned inward far too long, thinking of only ourselves, ignoring the needs of our environment, unconcerned with the future we’ve created. I can’t help but wonder whether fixing myself might somehow have larger implications. And I can’t help but feel the powerful need for something as simple as balance.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I come here I have to feed your fish *laughing!*

    anyway- as to Osondu's - I hate to see her close :-( I'm excited for her new adventure, though, and hope it all turns out well for all.

    And as for your post abov e- love it - so insightful, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, thanks for feeding the fish! They love it when you visit.

    I am sad about the closing of Osondus. I went there at least once every time I was in the mountains and I loved the cozy, quaint atmosphere. I hope that the new store will be just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete